Making a Lhires III lightproof

Ask your questions, show your results
Filipe Dias

Making a Lhires III lightproof

Post by Filipe Dias »

A few weeks ago, I finally isolated my LhiresIII spectrograph from outside light!
It was no exceptional challenge, but I wanted to do it in a way that did not force me to re-do it every time I changed grating. This is why I think this idea may be useful for others..

I used the iconic black ducktape for most of the seams. But for the rear part of the grating holder, I decided to use a different strategy.
I used a packaging for chicken wings from the supermarket, made of some interesting type of Styrofoam, or poly-something-tane plastic, that is very easy to cut, light, and resistant to humidity. Very handy!.. It also looks very promising for making rear-illuminated diffusers for flatfield screens. This plastic was then wrapped in black tape to make it dark and lightproof..
I've cut the packaging in a way that would make a cover over all hopes on the back of the spectrograph, and punctured holes in the places the screws hold the grating holder. You can see the idea in the images!
I can now take spectra of calibration lamps in daylight that looks indistinguishable from night time :) No more lightleaks!

I have also cut a part that fits around the colimator/objective holder, a bit like a suggestion here. But I think this extra baffling is not needed if the holes on the rear of the spectrograph are well covered.
Attachments
The original Chicken packaging
The original Chicken packaging
SP_A0115.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Cut into pieces; and tools needed
Cut into pieces; and tools needed
SP_A0116.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Placed on the back of the spectrograph
Placed on the back of the spectrograph
SP_A0117.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Fil
Christian Buil