Call for monitoring of AG Dra by R. Galis & al.

Information about outbursts of eruptive stars, Be activity, ...
James Foster

Re: Call for monitoring of AG Dra by R. Galis & al.

Post by James Foster »

Not much spectra being produced..."June Gloom" in full effect in Southern California; i.e. marine layer clouds after sunset. I did get 10x300 sec.'s spectra on AG Dra from my LISA spectroscope on the night of 02 June 2017:
Lots of He lines. As soon as I catch up on some sleep, I'll process my photometric data on AG Dra shot up to this date.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Lhires III (2400/1800/600 ln/mm Grat) Spectroscope
LISA IR/Visual Spectroscope (IR Configured)
Alpy 200/600 with Guide/Calibration modules and Photometric slit
Star Analyzer 200
James Foster

Post by James Foster »

I dont see much change in the V-magnitude of AG Dra since 16Apr17. Here is a graph of the un-transformed V-mags (C-11 at F/6.0 with Astrodon BVI filters):
The trends for the BVI look the same. Will upload these 222 transformed magnitudes to AASVO. I would post a graph of the transformed mags, but the transformed magnitude format don't lend themselves to easy graphing.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Star Analyzer 200
James Foster

Post by James Foster »

Here is my latest LISA spectrum from 09Jun17:
Not much happening in the spectrum, but the Balmer series and some He's still intense.

James
Last edited by James Foster on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Star Analyzer 200
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Hi James,

in your last spectrum, I don't think that the last emission line is CA II but another Balmer line : H epsilon @ 3970,07 Å.
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
James Foster

Post by James Foster »

To: Olivier,

Thanks! I should have looked at my old one for reference.....Sacrebleu!
[NOTE: I just edited the graph with the correct H-eps line and a few more He lines]
I just noticed the OIII line at 4363.21 is decreased from my last 02Jun17 AG Dra spectra.
James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Star Analyzer 200
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Please find below a message of Rudolf Galis.
Thanks to all for the excellent monitoring of AG Dra perfectly on line with the request of the professional team.
We keep on the observations at a lower frequency, such as for other important symbiotics.
All the best,

François

]Dear ARAS observers,
first of all, thank you very much for your effort during the observational campaign of the symbiotic star AG Dra. We are really delighted by your enthusiasm and passion in this task. Thanks this huge effort, 129 spectra were obtained from the beginning of the campaign to this day. So, for the first time in the history of spectroscopic observations of AG Dra, we have a possibility to study this symbiotic binary with around one-day resolution, which have not parallel in an investigation of symbiotic stars at all.
According to our statistical analysis of photometric observations, we know that the time interval between outbursts of AG Dra vary from 300–400 d, with median around 360 d. Therefore we expected the next outburst in the interval from JD 2 457 877 (May 3, 2017) to JD 2 457 917 (June 12, 2017). Actually, AG Dra manifested the third outburst of the recent activity stage in JD 2 457 890 (May 17, 2017) after 373 days after previous one. The last outburst of AG Dra looks quite untypical (as whole recent active stage, see below). After promising increase of its brightness (around 0.1 mag/day in B filter), the magnitude stopped to raise and it returned to almost the same level as before this event after only few days. The event recalls the pre-outburst in 2015 with maximal brightness around 10.7 mag in B filter.
The maximal magnitudes (10.7, 9.9 and 10.7 in B filter for the outbursts in 2015, 2016 and 1017, respectively) rank all these brightenings to the minor outbursts of symbiotic binary AG Dra. Such photometric behaviour of the active stage is very unusual. More often, the activity of AG Dra starts with major outburst, during which the brightness can reach the 8.8 and 8.4 mag in B and V band, respectively. Recent outburst activity resemble the weak activity stage 1963–66.
In our recent paper (Leedjärv et al. 2016) we demonstrated that the outbursts of AG Dra can be clearly distinguished also according to behaviour of the prominent emission lines in optical spectra. High-dispersion spectroscopy confirmed dramatic changes (significant increase of EWs) of the studied emission lines during recent active stage of AG Dra. The blue-wing absorption component observed in the profiles of the emission lines He I (λ6678), Hα and Hβ completely disappeared during the recent outbursts. Such spectroscopic behaviour is typical for the hot outbursts of AG Dra. On the other hand, at least the brightening in 2016 manifests the behaviour of the cool outbursts (all emission lines except He II 4686 Å) or some kind of transition between the hot and cool outbursts (emission line of He II 4686 Å). Is it a new type of outburst (or transition/combination of) the hot and cool outbursts? The analysis of obtained spectroscopic data for AG Dra is still in progress and we will inform the community about recent active stage of this interesting interacting binary in the forthcoming paper.
Even though the photometric behaviour of AG Dra indicates the typical quiescence low-amplitude variability, some spectroscopic characteristics clearly demonstrate that the system is awakened state. Nevertheless, we do not expect another outburst in the following period. On the other hand, the spectroscopic observations obtained during the campaign with around one-day resolution opened the possibility to study the orbital modulation of the spectral characteristics and thus the morphology of the circumbinary envelope. So, we suggest to continue in such the spectroscopic monitoring of AG Dra with lowered cadence (at least one R>10000 spectrum per 10-14 day) in the next period.
Once again, thank you very much for all your observations and we look forward for our next cooperation.
On behalf of the scientific team,

Rudolf Gális
Jaroslav Merc

Post by Jaroslav Merc »

Dear ARAS observers, 

first of all, we would like to thank you for monitoring of the symbiotic binary AG Dra after its last, minor outburst which occurred in May 2017. Observations obtained during quiescence are very valuable because they are important for understanding the phenomena arising in a large symbiotic envelope. Moreover, the current stage of the activity is quite unusual, as we have witnessed three minor, hot outbursts of AG Dra. Usually, active stages began with major, cool outbursts. The outbursts of the recent active stage even showed some characteristics that we have not yet observed in previous active stages.

Latest AAVSO data and also our observations have shown, there is a gradual brightening of the system over the last few days (around 0.5 mag in filter B and 0.2 mag in filter V). We would like to ask for a consistent observation of this system over the next days and weeks, to confirm and monitor another outburst of AG Draconis spectroscopically.

Thank you for your effort and we are looking forward to your new data!

On behalf of the scientific team,
Jaroslav Merc and Rudolf Gális
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

I'm now on this target with eShel spectrograph (R=11000).
Here's a first raw spectrum of 1200s taken with ATIK460Ex in bin 2x2.
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Here's a comparison of a spectrum of AG Dra taken with an eshel spectrograph vs Alpy spectrograph with two differents setup, two differents sites, two differents persons
- With Alpy (spectrum of Vincent Lecocq) : a total of 3000s exposure
- With eShel (my spectrum) : a total à 14400s exposure

And the full spectrum with eshel spectrograph

Balmer's lines velocity

Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

AAVSO lightcurve and ARAS spectra (2018)
AGDra.JPG
AGDra.JPG (23.1 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
A daily spectroscopic monitoring is expected

François Teyssier