ISIS do not merge the orders 51,52and 53 to a xxxfull.fit

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Berthold Stober

ISIS do not merge the orders 51,52and 53 to a xxxfull.fit

Post by Berthold Stober »

Hi,
I have the new colli for the eShel. They from shelyak told me, I can carry on as before after changing the colli, but the merging process to *full.fit will not run with ISIS. If I select the orders from 33 to 50, everything runs good as before. But if I select orders 33 to 53 the merging process will not go on. All values in the y axis are "0" in the full.fit.

A single plot of the orders 51,52,53 will run. The reason:

These orders are not normalized to 1 as the other orders. But why not? Could anybody help me please

berthold
Olivier GARDE

Re: ISIS do not merge the orders 51,52and 53 to a xxxfull.fi

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Hi Berthold,

If you can show the result you get on the full spectrum that would help us understand the problem.

Nevertheless, some tracks to explore to check that everything is ok :
- Do you use the last version of ISIS (the current version is V5.9.3)
- are the files def_order and Def-Lambda been correctly filled with the values ​​for the orders that were not accessible with the old doublet ?
- Is a new instrumental response made for example on Vega to also supplement the responses of the additional orders?
- Is there a sufficient number of flat that have been made because the tungsten lamp being very cold, it takes a large number of flat to be able to have a sufficient signal in the blue.

If the processing goes on without any error with ISIS, it is likely that there is a bad snr on one of the orders edges to order 50 or 51, have you done a "check 3" on ISIS to see what the software has find ?
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Berthold Stober

Bonjour Olivier,

I asked meanwhile Martin Dubs and THIS problem is solved. The def_order.lst was'nt with the numbers of new orders quite ok. And I learnt meanwhile that the tungsten flats are an additional problem......

Another question:

if I use the 50µ fiber directly on the calibration unit (tungsten!) I have ~50%(!!) more light in the tungsten flat as if I use

tungsten->200µ fiber->fiberinjection->50µ fiber. Is this ok? :?
I need ~20 sec for a tungsten flat for ~ 50.000 ADU.....is this also ok or normaly?

Unfortunately I cannot upload a file XXXX.fit, also not xxx.lst , so I cannot show you a tungsten.fit flat or the def_order.lst from me. :cry:

Merci d'avoir pris soin de mes problemes

amicalement
berthold
Berthold Stober

Hello Olivier,

I have additionally problems with the flux . Is it depending from the angel alpha of the grating? I have had in earlier times more flux in the past. Could you say anything to this problem please?

Amicalement
Berthold
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Berthold Stober wrote:
tungsten->200µ fiber->fiberinjection->50µ fiber. Is this ok? :?
Yes this is right.
Berthold Stober wrote: I need ~20 sec for a tungsten flat for ~ 50.000 ADU.....is this also ok or normaly?
In bin 1x1 or 2x2 ? With my set up my time exposure for a flat in bin 2x2 with an ATIK 460ex is about 2,5 secondes but is very dependent of the fiber (centering during factory assembly, type of the fiber Hi-oh or not, etc ...)
Berthold Stober wrote: Unfortunately I cannot upload a file XXXX.fit, also not xxx.lst , so I cannot show you a tungsten.fit flat or the def_order.lst from me. :cry:
berthold
Maybe you can put a screen copy or convert the fit in jpeg or PNG ? It's just to see how looks your check3 image by ISIS (you will see each order lines and how it looks in the borders of each order.)
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Berthold Stober wrote: Unfortunately I cannot upload a file XXXX.fit, also not xxx.lst , so I cannot show you a tungsten.fit flat or the def_order.lst from me. :cry:
If you add it as a zip file the forum should accept it. (perhaps not if it is a large file though)

Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Berthold Stober

Hi Olivier,

merci beaucoup pour votre réponse. Je lda vois seulement maintenant.

S'il vous plaît, est-ce que tu peux prendre une spectre à 20sec de vega? Et puis dis moi quel télescope t'utiluses et j'ai besoin du 2D spectre.

So I can compare my equipment.....with yours.

I use a KAF 3200 with 1x1 binning and I reache ~40.000 e- with 20 sec exposition time using the tungsten lamp of shelyak calibration unit. Is it also ok?

Amicalement
Berthold

( can I get your email address so I could use the Dropbox?)
Berthold Stober

Hi,

does anyone has the same configuration as I have?:

eShel from shelyak, fiberinjection and calibration unit from shelyak and C14. So I could compare. I mean I don't have enough flux in my spectra and I don't know what I could do.

Cheers berthold
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Weather is not good here in South east of France, so I try to do Vega as soon as possible, but I don't think you can compare my vega spectrum with yours because we haven't the same same setup :
- Different telescope
- Maybe different focal reducer.
- Different CCD
- optical Fiber Hi-OH or not ?
- Quality of the sky ? Transparency ?

And for Vega, what about the air mass for the comparison ? and also the precision of autoguiding ?

20 s flor the flat to have 50000 ADU, why not ?
It's very dependant of the optical fiber. I have two fibers, one I can have 50000 ADU in 2,5s and the other with 30s exposure.
Berthold Stober

Thank you Olivier,

Now, there exists an excelsheet written by Klaus Vollmann . Using it one can compute the efficiency of the hole Eqipment.All what I need is a spectrum of Vega and the diameter of the telescope....and the type of your CCD

I have had ~ 8,4 %, but now I am far away from this and I don't know the reason.

Ok tungsten flat :

I have had after 7 sec ~ nearly 48000 e- and now I need 20 or 30 sec for this value.

And you are right....I am waiting for the new fiber from shelyak but they they can not deliver at the moment ;) when they can deliver I'll test the new fiber.
And thanks that you are willing to take vegaspektrum for me. All what I need , is the diameter of your telescope and the 2D Spektrum. Please could you sent me a tungsten 2D too?

Amicalement Berthold