New pro/am collaboration with a LHIRES III

Andrew Smith

Re: New pro/am collaboration with a LHIRES III

Post by Andrew Smith »

I accept all you say the point I make is that the discussion is on the wrong forum where the project leaders will not see and benefit from it.

Regards Andrew
Joan Guarro Flo

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Hello,

Etienne's explanation has been very good.

Let me add a note of humor. Our reaction has been similar to that of that father when his son says, "Father, come with me, come, I'll show you how to make the children ..."

Really, we, the spectroscopists, we are like a family, by the way not too extensive, we have to work well.

Regards, Joan.
Thomas Eversberg

Post by Thomas Eversberg »

Hi all!

I'm really surprised about the reactions here. This campaign is triggered by two youngsters in spectroscopy (one is only 19 years old) and guided by two professionals in Lithuania. The requirements (set by the pros) can easily be fulfilled by any experienced amateur. I read complaints about the transfer rate but no real justification for the supposed difficulties (a 20MB transfer per day is nothing). I read complaints about being "used" as a data donator but no real suggestion for how to do it better (every campaign needs a coordinator). Critic in public is easy but doesn't help! Better would be an open minded participation including reasonable recommendations inside a powerful campaign team.

Salut, Thomas

PS: Andrew is right. There is a ProAm Convento Forum where your concerns should be discussed. https://forum.vdsastro.de/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5335

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

— Theodore Roosevelt