New ESP spectrograph R=30000

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Olivier GARDE

Re: New ESP spectrograph R=30000

Post by Olivier GARDE »

HI Alexandre,

Thanks for your response.

Ok for the resolution of 75.000, I will correct the graph but in fact it's a good news, the ESP resolution should be better than 30.000. The resolution indicated by the soft treatment is underestimated.

Thanks also for the HARPS spectra :P

Next step, Exo-planet detection ;)
LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Alexandre Santerne

Post by Alexandre Santerne »

Hi Olivier,

If the P-cygni profile of Halpha match fairly well between SOPHIE or even HARPS-N and ESP, it does not mean the spectral resolution of ESP is as high as 75k or 110k. It just means the H-alpha profile is broad enough that it is not dominated by the resolution of the spectrograph. Even if you had a spectrum with a resolution of a few million, your plot will look like almost the same.

Take a spectrum of the Sun and compare the width of weak lines between ESP and SOPHIE / HARPS-N and you will felt the difference in resolution.
By the way, 30k is already much higher than most of the VLT spectrographs (e.g. GIRAFFE, FORS2, X-SHOOTER).

The next step is however not the detection of exoplanets, but the characterisation of its radial velocity precision. Two steps from now, but only two.
Ernst Pollmann

Post by Ernst Pollmann »

Dear Olivier,
I visited again this side with your "first class" spectra. As you can imagine, I am interested in the spectrum of zeta Tau from 19/03/2016.
The spectrum of P Cyg has no date reference but I assume it's from 09/06/2016, which you sent already, right?

Best wishes, Ernst
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

Some news about ESP spectrograph:

- New calibration response process in ISIS software order by order from 48 to 84

- I have process some change in file lines.lst to add more lines, remove some blend lines and add new values with 4 digits after dot.

I can now process in one time all order from 48 to 84 (4056 Å to 7190 Å)

The gaol now is to reduce more orders (from 42 to 88) covered a range of 3850 Å to 7600 Å in one time.

Here's a comparaison between AOV star in Pickels data base (in red) with Vega spectrum (ESP spectrum) correct with the RI (in blue)
Olivier GARDE

Post by Olivier GARDE »

New spectrum taken with ESP Spectrograph : Del Sco

My goal is to increase the number of order process with ISIS in the blue, but it's difficult because the flux is very low in the blue. I have to take more exposure....

The full spectrum (37 orders merged), the signal in the blue is noisy SNR about 10)

And order 52 : H Alpha (SNR about 150)