Spectroscopy from The Mendips

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
HughAllen

Spectroscopy from The Mendips

Post by HughAllen »

Hello,
I am Hugh Allen and I do my observing from the (reasonably) dark skies of The Mendip Hills south of Bath in southwest England. I have owned an 8" Meade LX90 scope for 7 years. Until a year ago I was content with observing and some modest imaging with my Meade DSI II colour CCD camera. Then last year I was given as a birthday present an Alpy 600 spectroscope and Atik314L+ mono camera which I completed just two months ago with the Alpy guiding module. I am an industrial chemist so spectroscopy has always had a special appeal, but with the Alpy I now feel like I imagine the early pioneers of spectroscopy must have felt - an amazing, untouched new world opening in front of me. I have a lot to learn so I am very much looking forward to participating in the forum.
Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh Allen
Alpy 600 user
Robin Leadbeater

Re: Spectroscopy from The Mendips

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Welcome to the group Hugh :-)

The ATK314 is nice camera for spectroscopy and a great match to the ALPY (I use one with my LHIRES and ALPY) and the guiding module makes it so much easier to use.

A date for your diary is the BAA spectroscopy workshop on 10th October. Open to all, it will be the first ever event in the UK completely dedicated to spectroscopy as far as I know and not too far from you at the NLO Sidmouth
https://www.britastro.org/article_render/6305

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
HughAllen

Re: Spectroscopy from The Mendips

Post by HughAllen »

Thank you Robin!
As it happens I already have the BAA workshop in my diary, am really looking forward to it :D
Hugh Allen
Alpy 600 user