AAVSO Alert Notice 454: Monitoring of CH Cyg requested

Information about outbursts of eruptive stars, Be activity, ...
Thierry Garrel

Re: AAVSO Alert Notice 454: Monitoring of CH Cyg requested

Post by Thierry Garrel »

Please note that Margaritta want a digest, in the form of a graphic plot, of your night observations as soon as possible. Lines of interest is H beta, [OIII] 5007 and H alpha.
Send it directly to her at both karovska.margarita@gmail.com and karovska@cfa.harvard.edu with CH cyg ARAS monitoring+date in the subject.
Observation with Chandra has began yesterday and will continue until tomorrow. Another observation run will be scheduled on the early next week. Observations with Chandra has been delayed cause of sun storms.
Observation with the HST will begin on March, 17 for one week.
Our spectra support space observation of bow schock due to stellar jet in the circumstellar environment seen in UV and X rays. We are monitoring the optical domain during the space observations and after. So take spectra during all the night to support unexpected events in X/UV domains.

Thierry
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Thierry,

There appear to be some changes from her last emails to me. (I have posted her emails here, could you do the same with the ones you have also so we all have all the information and there is no confusion) The request for H beta is new for example and the HST observations were given as specific time on 18 March. Does she require the observations already made to be sent as graphs also or just any new ones?

I am currently measuring O[III] 5007 and H alpha tonight

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
David Antao

Post by David Antao »

Bonjour,

Je note une modification du continuum le 15 mars. J'ai refait plusieurs fois le traitement, bien vérifié l'absorption atmosphérique. Est-ce quelqu'un voit la même chose que moi?
David
Attachments
Comparaison ch_cyg.png
Comparaison ch_cyg.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 12288 times
Thierry Garrel

Post by Thierry Garrel »

I discussed a lot with Margaritta who didn't know well what we were able to do in spectroscopy. Format question was important and at first this was puzzling me. Wavelenght resolution came after and finally time resolution. When she finally succed to open fit or dat spectra her request on wavelenght coverage increased to H beta and quick graphic plot to her. It took us dozens of mail and fortunately the ARAS page help to cleared the survey conditions.
Now with the graphic nightly direct report and FIT/DAT archive, ZIP by night, gathered on ARAS evrything in on the tracks, except the weather for me.
I would like to say that Margaritta is an exceptional person, who is an open mind astronomer, and i can only encourage everybody to directly talk to her about this campaign.
Somes extracts:
"Hi Thierry,

Thanks a lot for the spectra.
To be honest I haven't had a possibility to unpack them and make plots, yet. It may be too much to ask, but is it possible to get plots of the spectra?

Are the spectra calibrated?

I'd say getting spectra once (or twice a week at most) would be plenty.
The HST observations are scheduled for March 18, and for Chandra, we'll see.
Thank you very much,
Margarita"

" Hi Thierry,
These spectra look great!
High res echelle spectra with 0.1 A res are what is needed
Just need to be sure to cover the important line regions in addition to Halpha, [OIII]5007 and Hbeta and the other regions that you listed on the web.

The Chandra observations are being scheduled, so I expect some to be carried out late this week, and then some during the next week
(The Sun is having storms these days that are affecting our Chandra schedule).

If the campaign can continue for a couple of more weeks including the week of 3/19 to - that will be great.

The format both fits and dat files should be good

The V magnitude is close to 7.2 or so these days .

Please let me know if I missed something.
Thanks again,
Margarita "
Thierry Garrel

Post by Thierry Garrel »

David,
en réalité elle bouge trés peu. En haute résoltuion sur l'échelle de quelques heures les modifications, surtout en H alpha, sont trés subtiles.
Ici tu as surement un effet due à l'extinction atmosphérique. Tes spectres ne sont pas pris à la même élévation. Il n'y aucune chance, je pense, en basse résoltuion de voir quoique ce soit mais tu peux toujours demander à nôtre PI, principal investigator sur ce survey.
Amitiés
T
Robin Leadbeater

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Thierry Garrel wrote:I discussed a lot with Margaritta who didn't know well what we were able to do in spectroscopy. Format question was important and at first this was puzzling me. Wavelenght resolution came after and finally time resolution. When she finally succed to open fit or dat spectra her request on wavelenght coverage increased to H beta and quick graphic plot to her. It took us dozens of mail and fortunately the ARAS page help to cleared the survey conditions.
Now with the graphic nightly direct report and FIT/DAT archive, ZIP by night, gathered on ARAS evrything in on the tracks, except the weather for me.
I would like to say that Margaritta is an exceptional person, who is an open mind astronomer, and i can only encourage everybody to directly talk to her about this campaign.
Thanks Thierry,

It is good she can now use fits files. (That was worrying me too.) I have also been sending her my plots and all the data will be on the web page of course. I think she has used AAVSO quite a bit but amateur spectroscopy still surprises the professionals. We seem to be doing something useful :-)

I was able to get H alpha and O[III] last night. H alpha has changed quite a bit since 12 days ago.

Cheers
Robin
chcyg_ha_20120317-183_05-099.png
chcyg_ha_20120317-183_05-099.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 12286 times
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

David,

Il n'y a a priori rien d'impossible avec cette étoile. C'est l'une des rares symbiotiques à montrer un flickering important à l'échelle de quelques minutes ou quelques heures (quelques dizièmes de mag, dans le vert et le bleu notamment).

En ce qui concerne tes spectres, si le pseudo-continuum produit par la géante rouge a réellment varier, tu doit retrouver cette variations au niveau des intensités relatives des différentes bandes d'absortion TiO, notemment dans le rouge.
Tu peux faire l'exercice de comparer tes spectes dans VSpec avec des références Pickles M6, M7, M8. Tu vas te rendre compte que l'un des deux séreis colle bien l'autre non.

Voici une comparaison de mon spectre du 12 avec une M7
CHCyg_M7.PNG
CHCyg_M7.PNG (20.94 KiB) Viewed 12278 times
Une comparasion avec une M7 et une M8
CHCyg_M7M8.PNG
CHCyg_M7M8.PNG (16.29 KiB) Viewed 12278 times
Tu as donc un probléme avec la RI. C'est ce qui est le plus difficile en basse résolution. En revanche, tes deux derniers spectres collent bien. Il faudrait que tu compare ton protocole (hauteurs, moment d'acquisition de la référence, choix de la référence)

CH Cyg est plutôt basse et sa hauteur varie de façon non négligeable.
Il est donc recommandé de prendre un spectre de référence avant et après l'acquisition et de comparer les RI.
Il existe aussi une autre cause difficile à maîtriser : varaition de l'atmosphère durant l'acquisition et entre l'acquisition et celle du spectre de référence (apparition de brume notemment).

C'est l'un des aspects intéressant dans ces suivis collaboratifs que de pouvoir comparer méthodes et résultats avec d'autres observateurs. J'avais énormément appris en suivant V407 cyg pendant plusieurs mois en parallèle de Christian.
Dans cette veine, voici une comparaison entre les spectres de Thierry Lemoult (16-03, violet) et moi-même (15-03, bleu)
_chcyg__teyssier_lemoult.png
_chcyg__teyssier_lemoult.png (15.05 KiB) Viewed 12278 times
C'est excellent ; on peut à peine passer une lame de rasoir.
Un bonne promotion pour LISA et ISIS -;)
(ce qui n'empêche pas LHIRES 150 ou 300 l/mm d'obtenir de trés bon résulats comme le montre David)

Thierry, je pourssuis là la dicussion entamé dans le coin observations.
Oui, il y a des chagements spectaculaires par rapport à 2011. Les spectes acquis en 2011 l'ont été durant la phuse d'outburt avec une magnitide V passant de 10 à 7, avec un affaiblissement notoire des largeurs équivalentes.
C'est tout l'intérêt que je vois aux symbiotiques que de montrer de telles variations à des échelles de temps de quelques jours à quelques mois.

Cela montre également l'intérêt que nous aurions à poursuivre cett campagne d'observation au-delà des spectres demandas par Margarita Karovska.
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Une fois n'est pas coutume de ma part... une image en couleur du champ de CH Cyg fait avec une lunette Takahashi FSQ85ED (4 x 60 s par bande RGB) depuis Castanet :

La couleur rouge vif de l'étoile la distingue bien des autres objets du champ.

A présent, météo très mauvaise (mais comme le dit Francois Teyssier, cette étoile, et quelques autres, méritent un suivi long terme).

Christain Buil
David Antao

Post by David Antao »

Merci pour les infos.
Voici une comparaison de mes spectres avec un spectre Pickles M7III. Il y a toujours une différence sur mon spectre du 15 mars.
Pour le calcul de la réponse instrumentale j'ai utilisé Iota Cyg qui est juste à coté, donc à la même hauteur. C'est qu'une nuit il y avait un tout petit peu de brume. C'est possible que ça vienne de là !?
David Antao
Attachments
_chcyg_20120315_045_antao+spectre_M7III.png
_chcyg_20120315_045_antao+spectre_M7III.png (18.39 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
_chcyg_20120313_076_antao+spectre_M7III.png
_chcyg_20120313_076_antao+spectre_M7III.png (17.74 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
_chcyg_20120311_199_antao+spectre_M7III.png
_chcyg_20120311_199_antao+spectre_M7III.png (19.64 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

David,
Tu en as donc deux bons. Juste la RI dans le proche IR à essayer d'améliorer.
Pourquoi celui du 15 a t-il une bonne RI? C'est, encore une fois, toute la difficulté sur une spectre aussi étendu.
Si la brume est constante, cela ne pose pas de probléme. Ce sont les variations qui peuvent engendrer des différences. J'ai par exemple une série de 30 spectres de P Cygni sur 3 heures. 29 ne montrent pratiquement aucune variation du continuum. Le 30ème est décalé ...
J'utilise également iota Cyg comme référence.
C'est également un point important dans un suivi collectif d'utiliser la même étoile de référence.
Bonne continuation.
Ca vaut la peine de continuer à la suivre
a+
François