combining echelle orders in ISIS

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Robin Leadbeater

combining echelle orders in ISIS

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

How can I combine echelle spectrum orders into one spectrum using ISIS? (I could use the merge function in ISIS or the join function in Vspec to combine them one at a time but is there a way to combine all of them in one in one operation?)

Thanks
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Christian Buil

Re: combining echelle orders in ISIS

Post by Christian Buil »

Robin,

At the output of the processing you have the combined file xxxx_full.fit.

No easy solution presently to merge all the orders
out of the normal processing (try "merge" command but not very efficient and
not sure for this type of data).

Christian
Martin Dubs

Re: combining echelle orders in ISIS

Post by Martin Dubs »

Hello Christian,

I tried the merge command in ISIS but it looks that the spectra are not normalized to a common level in the overlap region, different from the join in VSpec. What Robin and I would like is a command like merge2 [root name] [highest order] [lowest order] with smooth merge in the overlap regions. If you have some spare time (I doubt you have), think about it.

Another nice thing to have: When you do a calibration with neon and Balmer, could it be possible to write the logfile in the calibration assistant window to a permanent file star20131031_xyz_calib.log or add it to the standard logfile for future checks on calibration. Of course I can do that with copy and paste, but usually I forget it and then it is difficult to estimate the quality of the calibration afterwards.

Many thanks for the great program,

Martin