Spectrum Orientation

Ask your questions, show your results
EdWiley

Spectrum Orientation

Post by EdWiley »

First, thanks to Christian and Robin for their answers to my other posts. I did successfully obtain spectra. I think they were a bit out of focus, but still of use for my training. My questions.

1. Will the almost 2 degree tilt prevent successful and full reduction of the profile? (That is, calibrating and instrument response reduction.) For example, do I assume that the entire (tilted) spectrum needs to be within the blue zone, or does the tilt function take care of this and I can use a "blue zone" that cuts across the tilted spectral image? Or do I simply need to readjust the APLY so that I get a more horizontal spectrum? (I will be doing this in any case, but would like to process these images if possible.)

2. I am a bit confused about the Argon-Neon calibration image. In the "Assistant- Spectral calibration"" I assume that the "x" and "y" coordinates refer to the spectral image and not the calibration image. Correct?

3. Any link to what the lines of the calibration lamp are? And is it important to know them?

Many thanks for the help!

Ed

?Calibrated? profile without instrument response and image of HD14191 (A0V)
Attachments
HD14191_Calib_small.jpg
HD14191_Calib_small.jpg (15.46 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
HD14191_theta_ari_45s.jpg
HD14191_theta_ari_45s.jpg (6.26 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Christian Buil

Re: Spectrum Orientation

Post by Christian Buil »

Ed, Your spectrum orientation default is really too large.
Potential problem convern the sky evaluation, sectral caliration, processing of faint object...

Try to orient the angle of camera for
limit the error to 0.1 to 0.3 degree max (look my page). Not so difficult and very
important. Some patience is necessary.

The X,Y coordinates in the spectral calibration dialog box concern the Halpha line
in the star spectrum. Remenber the page (Part 3) :

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/isis/guid ... ration.htm

Knowledge of calibration lamp line wavelenght is not mandatory.

Christian
EdWiley

Re: Spectrum Orientation

Post by EdWiley »

Many thanks Christian. I just had success by rotating the images (spectral plus all calibration images) some 1.8 degrees ccw. The Alpy 600 tutorial was followed and the results were good given the possible focus problem and the fact that I had to rotate the images. And, I had to use a high smoothing coefficient. But, it is a start! Now to tune the Alpy so I get horizontal images.

Ed
Attachments
New HD14191 Profile.jpg
New HD14191 Profile.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 3280 times