Uncoherent offset image relative to images to process

Ask your questions, show your results
EdWiley

Uncoherent offset image relative to images to process

Post by EdWiley »

Strange. My first set of images (last month) were fine. I processed the bias, darks and etc. But now I have this "Uncoherent" message with the batch from last night. I checked my successful ones from last month. They were all size 2,827 KB. The star spectral images last night were 708 KB while the flats and darks were the usual 2,827 KB. Binning problem? But, I didn't change anything. Very strange.

No wonder I got the uncoherent message! Oh well, at least I got my focus routine down.

This leave me wondering exactly why Artemis took images of this size. I need to fix this problem. Any help appreciated. I think I will, at minimum, switch to CCDSoft. :?

Ed
Robin Leadbeater

Re: Uncoherent offset image relative to images to process

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Ed,

Yes these are the files sizes you get with the 314 unbinned and 2x binned.
The binning is set in ArtemisCCD in the exposure box, binX binY. (Also make sure you click "full frame" or the full frame/subframe icon after you using a subframe for focusing for example.) I usually get the problem the other way round (not binning when I wanted to bin 2x2) as unbinned is the default when ArtemisCCD starts up.

Although I have never tried it, If you have IRIS, you might be able to rescue things by post 2x2 binning your unbinned images. ("geometry", "binning") I cannot see a tool to do this in ISIS though. Post binning is not exactly the same as in camera binning as the read noise is higher but it might work ok

Cheers
robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
EdWiley

Re: Uncoherent offset image relative to images to process

Post by EdWiley »

Hi Robin: You are exactly correct. I made sure and selected full frame tonight and all is OK. I am posting my newest result in another thread.

Thanks, Ed