Greetings from below

New on the forum? Please, introduce yourself
Présentation des nouveaux inscrits sur le Forum
Paul Luckas

Greetings from below

Post by Paul Luckas »

Hello,

Another southern hemisphere member.

I am an observational astronomer based at The University of Western Australia where I built and now manage an educational robotic telescope initiative known as "SPIRIT" (http://spice.wa.edu.au/category/about-spirit/). In my "spare" time I observe at my home observatory under very light polluted conditions. Over the years I have engaged in a variety of projects, including supernovae and minor planet discovery and follow-up, photometry and (of course) astrophotography. Some of this is on my home web site: http://jazzistentialism.com/blog/

In recent times I have entered the world of spectroscopy, both for work and pleasure. This has culminated in the construction of a Spectra-L200 which is currently mounted on my home telescope for testing and commissioning. With considerable help from Ken Harrison I have been able to successfully process my first few spectra.

I'm currently monitoring Theta Muscae, hoping to reproduce the cyclic patterns observed by others in the CIII feature of this bright Wolf-Rayet star. I hope to fine tune my procedures so that I can contribute some valid data on a variety of targets in the months to come, as well as increase my knowledge of the science behind what I am actually observing.

To that end, I am bound to be posting heavily in the 'beginners corner' where I hope you will be patient with my novice questions.

My current goal is to get to the OHP in August 2015. The south of France sounds like the perfect place to experience anything, including spectroscopy.

Paul
Francois Teyssier

Re: Greetings from below

Post by Francois Teyssier »

You're welcome Paul
Happy to see a new southern observer
This should be great to see you at OHP in 2015, the yearly party is always a great moment
Waiting for your spectra !
Best regards,
François