STAROS spectral data base

Show your spectra, your results ...
Christian Buil

STAROS spectral data base

Post by Christian Buil »

I announce the official launch of the STAROS public spectral database:

https://staros-projects.org

STAROS is a database whose originality is to address observation campaigns on an object at a time and for a limited time. For example, an observation project can be opened to follow the news (nova explosion, comet passage...), to improve the observation techniques, to support a pro-am program, on your own proposals, on the beauty of the gesture (who will make the deepest spectrum...).

The use of STAROS is extremely simple: you register (it's immediate, no steps), you upload your spectra freely and finally, you appreciate your result, you compare it to others, you analyze it. STAROS already offers online a number of tools to judge and analyze the data (others will come). Moreover, you are free to download all or part of the data present, yours and those of others, to do a work on your computer, locally, if you wish.

STAROS is the simplicity to archive your spectra, it is the efficiency, it is the best way to progress in spectrography, it is the sharing, it is the pleasure to observe!

This initiative is another way to perceive astronomical spectrography among amateurs. It will surely also shape the look of professional astronomers on our work for exciting contributions. It is the result of a huge work done by Matthieu Le Lain, without whom nothing would have been possible. He was helped in this task by myself, Valérie Desnoux and Olivier Garde.

STAROS officially opens with a campaign to observe the spectroscopic double star alpha Draconis, well placed in the sky, quite easy, and typical of spectrography: a moving object. You may have already seen some spectra (see the first results obtained by Guillaume Bertrand). If you have a high resolution spectrograph (Lhires III, Star'Ex HR, ...), take your glasses and telescopes, even modest ones (don't worry, campaigns for low resolution will be proposed too, like SS433).

The STAROS "alpha Draconis" page is here : https://alphadra.staros-projects.org

Christian Buil
For the STAROS team
Olivier GARDE

Re: STAROS spectral data base

Post by Olivier GARDE »

LHIRES III #5, LISA, e-Shel, C14, RC400 Astrosib, AP1600
http://o.garde.free.fr/astro/Spectro1/Bienvenue.html
Joan Guarro Flo

Re: STAROS spectral data base

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Bonjour à tous et félicitations!

And thanks for this new enjoyable and attractive database, without any doubt it can be a great useful tool for all of us.

STAROS will be a great field of learning and interaction for the youth and also for the former spectroscopists.

I wish we all know how to take advantage of it. Of course I'm going to participate in their
observation programs.

I hope that your effort will be compensated with a good success.

Many thanks again!

Cheers, Joan.