First starlight for my new echelle

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Martin Dubs

Re: First starlight for my new echelle

Post by Martin Dubs »

Hello Joan,

this instrument looks very professional. Congratulations! The Richardson grating seems to make a big difference. I am also impressed by the large spectral coverage. I am glad you resolved the issues with ISIS processing. Too bad you did not make this fine instrument at a time when I was doing echelle spectroscopy. As you know, now I am more interested in meteor spectroscopy (see e.g.
https://meteorspectroscopy.org/2021/09/ ... rocessing/
for the latest results).

Clear skies,

Martin
Joan Guarro Flo

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Hallo Martin,

Many thanks for your encouraging words, I think that NOU_T echelle is a very useful tool and also it is possible that it is affordable
for some observers.

I haven't invented anything, my merit is assembly thoughts, designs, softwares, mechanical and optical parts, that other people
had made before with a lot of effort and work. You know, the NOU_T isn't my own development, design or invention.

And if it works, it is also thanks to people like you, who have helped and advised me in its practice and data reduction.

On the other hand, I wish to you success in your interesting and doesn't easy way in meteor spectroscopy.

See you soon.

Schöne Grüße, Joan.
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

Some times, I think it is not necessary say anything, you can see.

J. Guarro.
Attachments
_VEGA.png
_VEGA.png (35.25 KiB) Viewed 8661 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

You can see in this graphic a sample the current results with the NOU_T echelle equipment, also I have left some fit files with other stars too, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iEPJOZ ... sp=sharing.

You know that if you are interested in achieving a NOU_T echelle don't hesitate to let me know. One curious thing is the few observers who I sent one or are interested in, all of them and myself are coming from user to echelles with optical fiber, in my case I know why..

Best regards, J.Guarro.
Attachments
BD CAM.png
BD CAM.png (39.11 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
Joan Guarro Flo

NOU_T amb fibra.
NOU_T amb fibra.
NOU_T AMB FIBRA.png (812.64 KiB) Viewed 8260 times
Hello and Good New Year at all,

During these next months it's my intention mount the optics to this NOU_T  with optical fiber, in this way you can observeexoplanets and radial speeds with very high precision, on the other hand it's possible that this version lose some orders as the NOU_T without fiber.

You can see in the photo, the guide box, the orange optical fiber and the main body with a Nikon 85mm. f/1.8 objective, also there's an ATIK460EX camera, of course in this way, NOU_T permits another longer focal objectives and other camera models.  But remember the first gold rule, how all optical fiber spectrograph, it needs to a very good fiber agitator if you would likereach very nice results.

But transform the same NOU_T to from a version to other one it's only a little job, it takes only a few minutes and don't need any new collimation.
The cost of it is really affordable, I'm  trying to echelle spectrographs to be able to arrive at the most  possible people. 

If you are interested in it let me know.

Best regards, J. Guarro.
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,
In fact, it's a reality,  the growing analysts' interest for the echelle results, - without noise, without optical fiber ripples -, above stars they're studying. That echelle results, bring the main measurable apportation observations and are with them than the analysts use to make measurements out of H alpha region.

We'll be able to explain more things about that in July.

As a first responsable of the NOU_T echelle and among other things because there are four NOU_T working, - nearly five - , I decided to test a Canon 85mm. f/1.8, with the intention to know in the practice if it is better than the Nikon AF 85mm. f/1.8. 

Fortunately this test shows that Nikon AF is better than Canon for the NOU_T and we're on the right track. I leave these three pictures here.

On the other hand, reviewing some parameters between them the files, def.order.list and lines.lst from ISIS I achieved a medium Resolution 9000. I'm happy.

Cheers, J.Guarro.
Attachments
CANON_NIKON 1.png
CANON_NIKON 1.png (51.58 KiB) Viewed 7887 times
CANON_NIKON 3.png
CANON_NIKON 3.png (414.2 KiB) Viewed 7887 times
CANON_NIKON 2.png
CANON_NIKON 2.png (433.41 KiB) Viewed 7887 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

The NOU_T echelle in the remote SMM observatory has come back to its normal observational activity with the Nikon AF 85mm. f1.8 placed in it.

The AV0 HD39357 is used to take out the instrumental response, you can see in this picture a result comparison. The best is not always the better.

Regards, J.Guarro.
Attachments
CANON_NIKON 4.png
CANON_NIKON 4.png (33.56 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

Following in C.Buil's footsteps, these cloudy days I've rehearsed the properties of an old second hand Nikon 135mm. F2.8 objective in my Piera observatory NOU_T echelle.

The Nikon 135mm. F2.8 has 5 optical elements so is simple and it weighs 435grams, only 35grams more than the Nikon 85mm. F1.8 that I used actually.

At the moment the tests and theoretical results are satisfactory, and the RELCO light map
is focused much more better than the Nikon 85mm. one that needs a balanced focus Orders commitment.

Nikon 135mm. F2.8 pros and cons,

More and average order resolution R=10500 in contrast to R = 8500.

Very weight Fits files, 101925KB with the ASI2600MM.
More longer integration times due a more long focal point, but I can't precise
why because it has better focusing.

On the other hand, theoretically Nikkor 85mm. F1.8 is faster than the 135mm. F2.8 and with sufficient resolution for the analysts work studies, so I don't know if it is worth keeping this last one that needs to spend more time and gets minus stellar magnitude.

You can see this test daylight graphic made on the desk and its R values and download some integration Fits from,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ReQTHG ... sp=sharing

Cheers, J.Guarro.
Attachments
DAY2.png
DAY2.png (37.29 KiB) Viewed 7510 times
RESOLUTION.png
RESOLUTION.png (47.81 KiB) Viewed 7510 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

I show here three results of the NOU_T mounted with a Nikon 135mm. F2.8 objective, the resolution has increased over 11000 and its dynamic range hasn't diminished.

From this experience I have believed learning two main things, one is that the Nikon at F2.8 has a too small exit pupil and it has some difficulties, so in this case it is better to use a Nikon 135mm. F2.

Second and more importantly, the integration times are increased x 2.5 / 3, and it negatively affects its magnitude detectivity, it want to say a very great loss of operational and observational activity that I don't want to assume.

So if I consider the Nikon 85mm. F1.8 Resolution = 9000 fits well into the standards that analysts need for their study spectra as has been shown in recent times, I'm going to mount this one objective in the Piera NOU_T echelle.

In conclusion, from my point of view, it is necessary to keep a balance with your telescope, your spectrograph and your goals.

Regards, J.Guarro.
Attachments
gamcas135.png
gamcas135.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
rhocas135.png
rhocas135.png (16.44 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
theleo135.png
theleo135.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
James Foster

Post by James Foster »

Nice work Joan! Is there any reason you chose not to use the faster Canon 135 F/2 lens? Not that Nikon is bad, but I think
Christian fully vetted the Cannon for good UV penetration with the ehel.

Also, are you using a optical fiber in your latest data? I like the transmission you get with "direct-camera" on the focal plane, but the light loss
from using fiber is formidable, however your RV's are more stable without a large camera flexing on the telescope.

It would be great If I can get to >9900A with eshel, but the Thor-Argon lamps inside the ehel calibration box barely show any emission lines
above Order 27; about 8400A.

James
James Foster
eShel2-Zwo ASI6200MM Pro
Lhires III (2400/1800/600 ln/mm Grat) Spectroscope
LISA IR/Visual Spectroscope (IR Configured)
Alpy 200/600 with Guide/Calibration modules and Photometric slit
Star Analyzer 200