KOREL and Ravespan software

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Tom Love

KOREL and Ravespan software

Post by Tom Love »

I am currently wrestling with trying to get a good installation and understanding of how to use two pieces of software:

1) KOREL, which is spectral disentangling software, for distinguishing multiple blended lines from a spectrum when you have binary or multiple systems. See: Hadrava, P., 2004. KOREL–User’s guide. Publications of the Astronomical Institute of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, 92, pp.15-35.

2) Ravespan, which has capabilities for cross correlation in both one and two dimensions, and for applying broadening functions as described by Rucinski. See: Pilecki, B., Gieren, W., Smolec, R., Pietrzyński, G., Thompson, I.B., Anderson, R.I., Bono, G., Soszyński, I., Kervella, P., Nardetto, N. and Taormina, M., 2017. Mass and p-factor of the Type II Cepheid OGLE-LMC-T2CEP-098 in a Binary System∗. The Astrophysical Journal, 842(2), p.110.

Is anybody else interested in understanding more about how to use these packages? If there are enough people who have a serious interest, it might be possible to ask researchers using this software to do a seminar on installation (which is quite tricky in both cases) and use. Please let me know either by posting below or by direct message to me. If the numbers are favourable, I'll see what I can organise.

Best wishes,

Tom
-------------------------------------------------
Martinborough, New Zealand. Alpy, Lhires RC12
Bernard Heathcote

Re: KOREL and Ravespan software

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

Hi Tom,

I'm interested in learning more about both these programs.

Cheers,
Bernard