La spectrographie 2.0

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Christian Buil

La spectrographie 2.0

Post by Christian Buil »

Un point de vue sur une autre façon de pratiquer la spectrographie aujourd'hui : moins chère, plus simple, plus ouverte :

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/forum28/L ... hie_20.pdf

Christian Buil
Joan Guarro Flo

Re: La spectrographie 2.0

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Bonjour Christian,

Fortunately we can read another very complete master class from you, your extended and interesting exposition about abundance and different ways and update technology and software. Many thanks for your effort, because you had spent a lot of time on this explained job.

In my opinion, all of that put on the desk a long questions chain.

Is your job directed to the new spectroscopic observers generation?

Is your report made with the intention that the new observers learn and train observational and software techniques ?

Is your job indicating a final destination or a first station ?

Are these observations from these very nice equipment only a scientific testimonial event, only?

There is exist nowadays a really good interest for these types of observations from analysts ?

Is your very useful job a first part of another one, where you would expose new models, for example echelle spectrographs development?

I quoted the echelle spectrographs because it seems that their outcomes have been founded for some theoretical analysts
nowadays, eg., you can remember that before this 2022 last Christmas, one ESO member asked to you, two others observers and
myself, ( as a echelle observers ), a series observation for four Be double stars in the way to use them for an interesting astrophysic study, and demanded eight more of them now.

From my point of view and as far I know spectroscopy is a free activity, but people would know if their work
could be useful in a dynamic way, or only a scientific and didactical entertainment with nice testimonial scientific graphics
destined to sleep a long letarg in any database.

That would produce give ups in the observers team. You can see that it is a sickness that seems to be also affecting this Forum now,
I don't know why.

Please, don't take this writing in a bad way, sometimes any writing could seem serious and hurtful, that isn't my intention.

Many thanks for your time, Joan.
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Joan,

Your questions are interesting and normal.

My goal here is mainly to draw the attention of observers who use equipment that is not necessarily very expensive, but efficient, because it corresponds to the new technology. This is the case of astrophotographers: it doesn't take much to be able to approach spectrography, first out of curiosity, then maybe not interest.

This audience is not precisely the one of this forum, because the participants are already well equipped. It is for me a working document, for my reflection, that I diffuse. I may however find help to develop the idea of spectrography 2.0, here and elsewhere.

It is a way to dynamize spectrography, which appears too much as a discipline of experts. It is necessary to come back to Earth and make spectrography playful and accessible. Science is an important point, but it is not exactly the object of this document. The idea is really to show that spectrography can be a fun activity.

I will have the opportunity to show that we can do a nice job in astrophysics with these modern spectrographic solutions (new mounts, new optics, new cameras, new softwares, new 3D spectrographs (Star'Ex, UVEX4, ...), new observational procedures, etc).

The development of a low cost echelon spectrograph is in my thoughts, but it is out of the scope of this note.

Christian
Joan Guarro Flo

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Bonsoir Christian,

Many thanks for your explanations, as you said we really need to attract new spectroscopy 
observers and that it's a good way to achieve it.

I hope and wish that you reach this challenge and you'll be compensated for your time and efforts.

Cheers, Joan.