SMM's 16-inch MEADE LX200GPS TELESCOPE PROBLEMS

Joan Guarro Flo

SMM's 16-inch MEADE LX200GPS TELESCOPE PROBLEMS

Post by Joan Guarro Flo »

Hello at all,

SMM Remote telescope has been stopped for around three months.

The Meade 16-inch LX200 GPS mount suffered an unfortunate incident when it was observing, as a result, my colleague Antoni Jové and I were been trying to mend and change its damaged electronic cards without success, mainly, due to Meade being deaf, I want to see that Meade doesn't have spare pieces either electronic cards around the world, so it seems that this trade mark has forgotten and abandoned their old clients.

I'm not complaining about it because it's useless, I just explained it as an introduction.

The solution to this problem comes from Antoni Jové, who has enough knowledge about mechanics, electronics, software, and computing management.

Finding a solution on the internet, we chose the OnStep system by Howard Dutton as the best way to get ready again for the SMM 16" Telescope and its NOU_T echelle.

I would tell you with the aim that if some have damaged some Meade mount or another one, you have a good and cheaper opportunity, not only about mending it if not improving it too.

In this way, from time to time, I'll tell you and show pictures of how it's doing, you can see the first ones.

Cheers, Joan.
Attachments
N 001.png
N 001.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 420 times
N 002.png
N 002.png (684.76 KiB) Viewed 420 times
N 003.png
N 003.png (955.72 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Re: SMM's 16-inch MEADE LX200GPS TELESCOPE PROBLEMS

New tests and advancements.

J. Guarro.
Attachments
N 004.png
N 004.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 403 times
N 005.png
N 005.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 403 times
N 006.png
N 006.png (945.29 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

Theoretically, OnStep permits the use of normal motors DC for focusers, but sure that this application hasn't been tested yet, they don't work.

We've stopped working and waiting now for a suitable stepper motor from China, and when it arrives we intend to mend this lack.

Now it's only a matter of time before the SMM telescope will be ready again.

Regards, J.Guarro.
Attachments
N 007.png
N 007.png (794.29 KiB) Viewed 383 times
N 008.png
N 008.png (786.38 KiB) Viewed 383 times
N 009.png
N 009.png (749.77 KiB) Viewed 383 times
N 010.png
N 010.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 383 times
Bernard Heathcote

Post by Bernard Heathcote »

Congratulation Joan!
Antoni and you each deserve a medal for the work and effort that should have been done by Meade. Very disappointing, but not surprising, the lack of manufacturer support. It certainly looks that, thanks to Meade not helping, you will end up with an even better mount.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Cheers,
Bernard
Joan Guarro Flo

Hi Bernard,

Many thanks for your encouraging words, I think that really who deserves a very high medal is the author of the OnStep system.
We did the same as a lot of people before, just found it necessary to solve the big problem that we faced, other solutions would be to buy a new equatorial mount or shut down SMM Remote Observatory.

You know that SMM OnStep hasn't finished yet, but everything that we did worked very well, - hardware and software. 
It seems that OnStep is based on the principle of 3D printers, so there are a lot of modern and cheaper electronic components in the market. On the other hand, OnStep admitted numerous and also different electronic components and control cards, giving a lot and variety of options, all of which represent an enormous programming job by Howard Dutton.

Besides, nowadays existing reliable and affordable equatorial mounts by friction, with impressive payloads, such as 75kg., 100kg, and 125 kg. nearly, without backlash and periodic error, you can see here one commercial of them that uses the OnStep system too.
https://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/t ... cope-mount

I think that it's worth leaving here some photos of our experiences with the aim that other people can take advantage of them, because OnStep applies to any mount, independently of its size, type, or azimuthal/polar configuration.

Well, we will see.

Cheers, Joan.
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,

The OnStep test made with all its elements mounted in the 16-Inch Meade LX200 telescope was a success from the first moment.

The AR and Dec stepper motors worked very well moving and tracking the telescope
without any problems and with a very nice sound, which is a signal of good work.

The connection computer/telescope was wireless by wi-fi, also the fantastic and virtual keypad on the mobile phone.

All of that wouldn't have been possible without the hard, long and brilliant Toni's software work.

Every mount needs one minimum of powerful electrical and electronic supply that come determined by the electronic card and its drivers and stepper motors Amperage. So for the 16-Inch Meade mount OnStep requires its own.

On the other hand we're forced to change the 12V DC focuser motor that OnStep doesn't recognize, but we're going to take advantage of it
improving its focusing movement.

Next steps until the SMM telescope will be ready for observing will be easy, and only is a matter of time. I'll tell you about them next time.

Regards, J.Guarro.
Attachments
N 011.png
N 011.png (849.4 KiB) Viewed 260 times
N 012.png
N 012.png (615.59 KiB) Viewed 260 times
N 013.png
N 013.png (914.42 KiB) Viewed 260 times
N 014.png
N 014.png (240.55 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Joan Guarro Flo

Hello,
I attached here a photo that shows part of the job that Toni and I did to update the Meade 1209 focuser
to join one stepper motor that OnStep requires.

At the same time, we prolonged the draw tube travel by 2.5mm., so it's 14.5mm. now.

After a lot of hours of work, we tested it with no better results, the motor was unpowerful.

To find a solution we're going to apply this system that we have found on the Internet,

https://davidallmon.com/projects/meade- ... er-upgrade

I think that it is good to show your own mistakes too.

Regards, J. Guarro.
Attachments
ENFOCADOR.png
ENFOCADOR.png (808.87 KiB) Viewed 144 times