vspec bug - blank graph after divide

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Robin Leadbeater

vspec bug - blank graph after divide

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

I sometimes get a blank graph after dividing two profiles in Vspec. The data is still there though as saving or rescaling makes the profile reappear. I thought it might be unique to my system but the same fault has just been reported by a user on the astronomical_spectroscopy group. I think the bug was probably introduced in an update in the past year but sorry I cannot be more specific.

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Valerie Desnoux

Re: vspec bug - blank graph after divide

Post by Valerie Desnoux »

Hi there
(so long time...)
When dividing 2 spectra some very high values can be gerenated (division by a small value) and thus the automatic scaling will take this very high value (result of the division) as the maximum Y-axis value.
Crop the spectra before the division may be the way to go. Other option would be to not have automatic scaling but it is so useful in most of the case.
I think that's what you describe. If not, let us know.
Valerie
Robin Leadbeater

Re: vspec bug - blank graph after divide

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

Hi Valerie,

I do not think it is just a scaling problem. I have just had an example today where the profile disappeared after I did a non linear wavelength calibration. I tried manually scaling in y but could not get it to display. Only after I saved it did the profile re-appear. I have attached the (uncalibrated) profile (zipped spc)

Cheers
Robin
Attachments
epsaur_ki_18feb12.zip
vspec bug test file
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk