Choix de fente LhiresIII et Lisa

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Thierry Garrel

Choix de fente LhiresIII et Lisa

Post by Thierry Garrel »

Salut à tous,
J'utilise actuellement une fente de 35µm avec mon LhiresIII 2400 tt/mm sur CN212 F10. J'ai fait ce choix dans le but de maximiser le flux entrant mais cela au détriment de la résolution. Ce choix n'est pas optimal. Une fente de 30µm me permettrai de conserver une résolution meillleure tout en étant adaptée à la qualité du seeing de mon site. Plus bas, je perds du flux, et il est vite fait de dégrader le rapport signal bruit.
J'en ai parlé avec Benji qui vient de publier une étude de différentes largeurs de fente
http://bmauclaire.free.fr/astronomie/sp ... atos/slit/
Une nouvelle série de fente en verre sérigraphié avec l'appui de Shelyak. Cela pourrait répondre à nos attentes ?

Thierry

Hello,
I use at present a slit of 35µm with my LhiresIII 2400 gr/mm on a CN212 F10. I chose it with the aim of maximizing the entering flow but it is to the detriment of the resolution. This choice is not optimal. A slit of 30µm shall allow me to preserve a better resolution while being adapted to the quality of the seeing of my site. More narrow, I will loose flow, and it is fast to degrade the SNR.
I spoke about it with Benji who has just published a study of various widths of slit for Lhires and Lisa http://bmauclaire.free.fr/astronomie/sp ... atos/slit/
A new series of glass slit with the support of Shelyak. It could answer our waits ?

Thierry
Robin Leadbeater

Re: Choix de fente LhiresIII et Lisa

Post by Robin Leadbeater »

I also find the difference in the standard slit sizes from 23 to 35 um too large.
35um is a repeat of one of the standard slit sizes so I suggest for the alternative slit mirror to use a small hole in place of the 35um slit. This would very useful for aligning the spectrograph and guide camera optics and setting the imaging camera horizontal in daylight.

Cheers
Robin
LHIRES III #29 ATIK314 ALPY 600/200 ATIK428 Star Analyser 100/200 C11 EQ6
http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk
Rainer Ehlert

Post by Rainer Ehlert »

Hi,

Is something going to be made with the new slits for LhiresIII and LISA ?

Has Shelyak any comments about this ?

Thanks for any info ...
regards Rainer____Observatorio Real de 14_____MÉXICO_____N 22° W 101°
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Hello,

En ce qui concerne le LISA :
23 mcm donne R = 1050
35 mcm donne R = 750-800
avec un réglage impeccable.

Il n'y a donc aucun intérêt à avoir une largeur de fente intermédiaire (sauf à se poser encore plus de questions sur le choix de la largeur de fente !).
De plus, on réalise plusieurs objets dans la même séance d'observations .
Il est préférable d'avoir un bon réglage avec une fente, plutôt que de changer régulièrement de fente.
Pour le LISA, je pense que 23 -35 - 50 et un trou serait un bon choix.
Les fentes de 15 et 19 ne servent pas. La résolution peut atteindre respectivement 1300 et plus de 1500, mais seulement sur une portion faible du spectre.

As for the LISA:
23 mcm gives R = 1050
35 mcm gives R = 750-800
with impeccable control.

So there is no point in having a slot width means (except to ask even more questions about the choice of slit width!).
In addition, it performs several objects in the same session observations.
It is better to have a good setting with a slot, rather than regularly change slot.
For LISA, I think 23 -35 to 50 and a hole would be a good choice.
The slots 15 and 19 are not used. Resolution up to 1300 respectively and more than 1500, but only a small portion of the spectrum.

François Teyssier
Rainer Ehlert

Post by Rainer Ehlert »

The slots 15 and 19 are not used. Resolution up to 1300 respectively and more than 1500, but only a small portion of the spectrum.
Hi Francois,

Interesting statement and now of course a bit of Gasoline into the fire :mrgreen:

¿ Why then does Shelyak deliver us LISA owners the 15µ, 19µ, 23µ and 35µ slits instead of delivering as a standard the one mentioned by you ?
For LISA, I think 23 -35 to 50 and a hole would be a good choice.
I now feel as a purchaser of LISA a little bit cheated :roll:

Sorry but I had to write this. LISA is not a cheap instrument and now again buy a new slit ... That is not fair :x

Also
¿ Which portion would that be ? XX Angström to YY Angström .....
regards Rainer____Observatorio Real de 14_____MÉXICO_____N 22° W 101°
Olivier Thizy

Post by Olivier Thizy »

Rainer,

You do not "have to" buy a new slit. The 23µm and 35µm work in most cases. Look at results beeing published with those standard slits...

We made an optional slit available with 50-75-100µm slits and a 19µm hole. The large slits are mainly intended to large telescope (>24inch typically). The 19µm hole is designed for instrument adjustments.

If there are enough people interested in a mid-range slit (ex: 29µm), we could make one available.

Keep in mind before finetuning the slit size that it is highly dependant of your seeing (average, best of) and goal (run an average performance or look for best performance on best nights...). Achieving best focus is also a key point in reaching best signal level getting into the spectrograph - do not underestimate this item.

Cordialement,
Olivier Thizy
Vous ne verrez plus des étoiles comme avant !
http://www.shelyak.com/en/
Benjamin Mauclaire

Post by Benjamin Mauclaire »

Francois Teyssier wrote:Hello,

Il n'y a donc aucun intérêt à avoir une largeur de fente intermédiaire (sauf à se poser encore plus de questions sur le choix de la largeur de fente !).
De plus, on réalise plusieurs objets dans la même séance d'observations .
Il est préférable d'avoir un bon réglage avec une fente, plutôt que de changer régulièrement de fente.
Les fentes de 15 et 19 ne servent pas. La résolution peut atteindre respectivement 1300 et plus de 1500, mais seulement sur une portion faible du spectre.

François Teyssier
Comme tu le dis, les fentes 15 et 19 um ne servent pas dans l'etude des spectres stellaires et nebulaires.
Cependant, avec 23 um, tu n'accumules pas assez de lumiere pour obtenir un spectre exploitable de nebuleuses de magnitude 14, par exemple, avec un temps de pose restant humain en tenant compte du seeing et de la transparence de nos sites
Mes experiences dans ce domaine ainsi que les chiffres sont assez explicites. Tout est sur http://bmauclaire.free.fr/astronomie/sp ... index.html

Il apparait necessaire pour garder le pouvoir de resolution tout en ayant assez de lumiere d'avoir une fente intermedaire, exmeple 26 um.
Pour les objets faiblards, la detectivite prime et 45 um laisse passer suffisement de lumiere sur eles objes non stellaires tout en ne tombant pas dans une resolution de type Star Analyser au prix d'un LISA ou d'un LHIRES !

Benji
Spcaudace spectroscopy software: saving you hundred hours of frustration.
Benjamin Mauclaire

Olivier Thizy wrote:Rainer,

You do not "have to" buy a new slit. The 23µm and 35µm work in most cases. Look at results beeing published with those standard slits...
If there are enough people interested in a mid-range slit (ex: 29µm), we could make one available.

Keep in mind before finetuning the slit size that it is highly dependant of your seeing (average, best of) and goal (run an average performance or look for best performance on best nights...). Achieving best focus is also a key point in reaching best signal level getting into the spectrograph - do not underestimate this item.
Cordialement,
Yes focus may deal with better snr.
But with faint targets, seeing destroy all efficiency and it is then necessary to open the slit to get more signal.
Computation tables available at http://bmauclaire.free.fr/astronomie/sp ... index.html describe cute arrangement between aperture, SNR and resolution.

Benji
Francois Teyssier

Post by Francois Teyssier »

Le choix de la fente est beaucoup plus compliqué que le résultat d'un calcul théorique.

Je ne parle que de ce que je connais : basse résolution avec un télescope amateur "moyen" : 25 cm de diamètre.

Jusqu'à mag 8 et à partir de mag 12, il n'y a aucune question à se poser :
- fente de 23 mcm jusqu'à mag 8
- fente de 35 mcm à partir de mag 12

Entre les deux, cela dépend. Il faut trouver un optimum entre le SNR et la résolution.
Parmi les facteurs dont va dépendre la décision :
- type d'objet et notamment la répartition de l'énergie sur le domaine spectral
- fwhm
- turbulence
- qualité de l'autoguidage (elle-même dépendante de la turbulence ...)
- la hauteur de l'objet.

Et le choix entre les fentes est difficile à faire.

Quant au résultat lui même, il va également dépendre de la focalisation (facile) mais aussi de la stabilité de la focalisation

De plus, le changement de fente est une opération qui prend du temps. En règle générale, j'essaye de construire un programme d'observation sur une nuit avec la même fente et au maximum un changement de fente.

D'autre part, entre des spectres R=800 et R=900 d'une part, entre des spectres R= 900 et R = 1000, il n'y a que très peu de différence.
(Noter par ailleurs qu'en basse résolution, et même avec le LISA, la résolution n'est pas constante sur l'ensemble du domaine spectral).

Donc, en basse résolution, pouvoir disposer d'une largeur de fente entre 23 et 35 mcm n'aurait qu'un seul intérêt : celui de se poser encore plus de questions ... ce qui n'a pas beaucoup d'intérêt : le mot d'ordre des spectros amateurs devrait être "less blabla, more spectra !"

François

The choice of the slot is much more complicated than the result of a theoretical calculation.

I only speak of what I know: low resolution with a telescope amateur "means" 25 cm in diameter.

Up to 8 mag and from 12 mag, there is no question to ask:
- Slot 23 mcm to 8 mag
- Slot 35 mcm from 12 mag

In between, it depends. We need to find an optimum between the SNR and resolution.
Factors which will depend on the decision:
- Type of object, including the distribution of energy on the spectral
- fwhm
- turbulence
- Quality of homing (itself dependent on the turbulence ...)
- The height of the object.

And the choice between the slots is hard to do.

As to the result itself, it will also depend on the focus (easy) but also the stability of the focus

In addition, the change slot is an operation that takes time. Generally, I try to build a compliance program on a night with the same slot and a maximum change of slot.

Between the spectra R = R = 800 and 900 on the one hand, between the spectra R = R = 900 and 1000 on the other hand, there is very little difference.
(Note also that in low resolution, and even with the LISA, the resolution is not constant over the entire spectral range).

So, in low resolution, to have a slit width of 23 to 35 mcm would have only one interest: to ask even more questions ... which has not much interest.
Benjamin Mauclaire

Francois Teyssier wrote:Le choix de la fente est beaucoup plus compliqué que le résultat d'un calcul théorique.

Donc, en basse résolution, pouvoir disposer d'une largeur de fente entre 23 et 35 mcm n'aurait qu'un seul intérêt : celui de se poser encore plus de questions ... ce qui n'a pas beaucoup d'intérêt : le mot d'ordre des spectros amateurs devrait être "less blabla, more spectra !"

So, in low resolution, to have a slit width of 23 to 35 mcm would have only one interest: to ask even more questions ... which has not much interest.
S'il te plait François, si tu preferes agir sans te poser de questions, n'empeche pas les autres de le faire.

François, if you prefer act without asking yourself any questions, would you be kind not to forbiden anyone else thinking.

Benji