ATIK314L+ non-linearity

Design, construction, tuning of spectroscopes
Information and discussion about softwares (telescope remote, autoguiding, acquisition, spectral processing ...)
Christian Buil

ATIK314L+ non-linearity

Post by Christian Buil »

Here the signal given by an Atik314L+ function of exposure time (ICX285AL CCD):

(le signal donné par une caméra Atik314L+ (équipée d'un CCD Sony ICX285AL) en fonction
du temps de pose - la source de lumière est un ensemble de LED alimenté par une alimentation
de labo de haute précision) :

The cross represent measured points. Green line is the best linear fit.
I use the tools decribed at the end of:

http://astrosurf.com/buil/isis/isis_tuto/tuto5.htm

The non linearity response is evident

Now, the deviation of obsrerved points relative to linear fit computed in
the range [0 - 65535] :

(l'écart entre les mesures et le meilleurs ajustement linéaire dans
la gamme de dynamique 0 - 65535 ADU (ou unités de comptes) :

You can note two regimes : (1) a linear part between [0 - 41000]
(2) a step (AGB commutation) + a relatively linear (inversed) response in the
the range [4100 - 65535].

The non-linearity is significant. Clearly, for high quality spectrophotometry
only the dynamic range [0-40000] is useful if non-linearity is not corrected.

Here the deviation to a linear fit limired to range [0-41000] only :

(pour un travail de haute qualité spectrophotométrique, il est
recommandé de ce limiter à une dynamique de signal comprise
entre 0 et 40000 unités de compte si on ne corrige pas le défaut
de non linéarité - graphe suivant, l'écart à la non linéarité en ce limitant
à la région [0 - 40000]) :

A second independant evaluation for check measure dispersion:

ISIS can correct non linearity default during spectra processing
but the large step at 41000 ADU is really difficult to modelize with
polynomial function. for the special case of Atik314L+ model (Sony CCD).

(la possibilité de corriger la non linéarité est prévue dans ISIS,
mais la modélisation de ce défauts est actuellement très délicat
dans le cas du modèle Atik314L+ - CCD Sony - à cause du saut de gain
produit par la mise en route du système anti-éblouissement pour des
niveaux supérieurs à 40000 ADU).

Christian Buil
Christian Buil

Re: ATIK314L+ non-linearity

Post by Christian Buil »

J'ai poursuivi les investigations. En fait, l'interprétation est plus complexe. Le résultat ne dépend pas que tu temps de pose, mais aussi de l'illumination du capteur. Ce "couplage" temps de pose/flux optique" rend assez difficile l'analyse....

Voici la non linéarité (écart à la meilleure droite) mesurée en fonction du flux optique incident, mesuré en ADU/secondes (taux ou rate). Donc un rate faible correspond à un faible flux incidents (et un temps de pose long) alors que c'est d'inverse bien sur pour un rate élevée.

Remarquez qu'avec le méthode de mesure utilisée, si j'avais travaillé dès le départ à un taux de 2800 ADU/s ou un taux de 28000 ADU/s je n'aurai jamais par eu du tout les mêmes conclusions (j'ayurai décrété que l'ATIK314L+ a une réponse linéaire par exemple à 28000 ADU/s :(

Donc c'est très piégant. Notez encore que lorsque l'accident de non linéarité est visible (taux de 17500 ADU/s par exemple), on appercoit une fluctuation de signal sur la partie droite, plus forte que à gauche. Attention ce n'est pas du bruit : ce sont tous les pixels qui montent et qui descendent (ca ce passe au niveau de l'étage de sortie), Donc l'image est propre (pas de bruit) mais la qualité photioméytrique est dégradée.

Je n'ai pas constaté de dépendance avec la température du CCD.

Voici pour finir la réponse pour les deux "rates" extrèmes analysé, vous voyez du ca suit tout de même d'assez près la droite d'ajustement.

Remarquez que l'Atik314L+ répond corretement jusqu'au compte maximal (65535 comptes numérique).

Difficile avec tout ceci de ce faire une idée précise de la criticité. Il y a du grain à moudre...

Christian B
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Christian - I am puzzled by your first graph i.e. linear fit to the data. All but one or possibly two of the points are above the line so I doubt it is a best fit. Did you do a linear regression or some other method of fitting the data? While this may not invalidate your findings the errors may be smaller than you fear?

Andrew
Martin Dubs

Post by Martin Dubs »

Hello Christian,

looking at the different plots, it seems to me that you have a problem with your exposure time rather than a problem with nonlinearity of the detector. If you look where the kink in the "sensitivity" occurs by calculating the exposure time you arrive always at a time between two and three seconds. Maybe for the longer exposure times your software is busy with other tasks so exposure time may be only approximate. Did you try to make exposures with different programs? Just an idea.

Best regards,

Martin
Christian Buil

Post by Christian Buil »

Andrew, Ok, the line is not the best fit. I choose an arbitrary linear response from the zero point to the max point of input data.

Martin, I well noted the strange anomaly for an exposure time of close to two seconds and I do not really see what can physically produce such a phenomenon in a CCD sensor, even with a AGB device.

Although this difficult to accept, your hypothesis on the exposure time seems to be the only acceptable solution. The software used is Audela, but the camera Atik is controlled via the Ascom. May be a problem with the driver?

Christian B
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Christian - It might be worth repeating the experiment using the Atik capture software "Artemis Capture" to avoid the complexities of your current set up. It just might be an issue with the camera firmware.

I also just remembered that on my Starlight Xpress MX7 it changes it's mode of taking images at the point where the download time is exceeded but the exposure time. I.e. it is interlaced at short exposures and progressive (if that what is selected) at longer exposures. I don't know if something like that is happening here.

In addition, unfortunately, the various version of the Microsoft operating system are not "real time operating systems" and nor are the development environments - at least as far as I understand them.

Regards Andrew