Suspected Symbiotic Stars: campaign for Adrian Lucy

Suspected Symbiotic Stars: campaign for Adrian Lucy

Postby Francois Teyssier » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 pm

A list of suspected symbiotic stars is published in AAVSO notice :https://www.aavso.org/aavso-alert-notice-650
A campaign on the request of Adrian Lucy and Jeniffer Solkolovski (Columbia University)
Faint targets, a nice goal for Alpy, LISA and other low resolution spectrograph.
What is expected is : late type continuum (giant M) and high ionisati on lines such as He II, [OIII], [Fe VII], Raman OVI ...
At least one of them is needed for identification of the target as a symbiotic star (See Belczinski & al., 2000)
The spectra will be added to ARAS database : http://www.astrosurf.com/aras/Aras_Data ... eStars.htm
Send spectra to lucy@astro.columbia.edu and francoismathieu.teyssier at bbox.fr
Good hunt!

François Teyssier
Francois Teyssier

Re: Suspected Symbiotic Stars: campaign for Adrian Lucy

Postby Francois Teyssier » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Francois Teyssier

Re: Suspected Symbiotic Stars: campaign for Adrian Lucy

Postby Forrest Sims » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Greetings,

I saw François's request for spectrum on these potential Symbiotics.

I chose EN Sgr last night to see if I could get a spectrum. As you might have noticed all of these targets have a big fat (-) minus sign in front of the DEC. Makes me think they are made to order for Paul Lukas:) Add in the position of the Moon, the magnitudes and that many of these targets are setting in the west early in the evening reduces the candidates I can reach here from southern Arizona. I took 8 600sec images of EN Sgr with my LISA using HD214994 as a Reference star.

Here is a plate solved guider image of the field and the results displayed in PlotSpectra. Some preliminary analysis by François and Adrian Lucy point in the direction of this possibly being a Carbon Mira type star.

Cheers!
Woody
Attachments
ensgr_20180918_124_Forrest Sims annotated.png
EN Sgr guider plate solved annotated.jpg
EN Sgr guider plate solved annotated.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Forrest Sims

Return to Symbiotic Stars